Runtime: 2:39:28 Original Class Date: 12/16/2020
NOTE: This is not a live class registration. When you register for access to these bundles, you’ll be receiving access to previously recorded classes taught for a live audience. Registration includes access to any handouts, readings, and slides the instructor originally shared with students. The video will be available for viewing immediately upon purchase, and will expire on March 31, 2022.
This video will teach you how to turn your own experiences, anecdotes, fears and ideas into compelling essays.
One of the most popular and innovative forms of writing today is the personal essay. In this class recording, students learn to pair traditional journalistic methods and structures with the narrative energy of short fiction and memoir in order to craft compelling essays.
The video focuses on:
- Basic elements and structures
- Figuring out the frame of the essay
- What to summarize and what to put into short scenes
- How structure changes depending on length (800 words versus, say, 2000)
- Expectations of fact-checkers and how to fact check your own memory