Hello! If you’re visiting this page, it was so great meeting you at a recent event. We’re the Writers’ League of Texas, the largest literary arts organization in the state and we offer programming and support for writers at all stages of their writing careers. This page is filled with information about our upcoming events and opportunities. Keep in mind that while we are called the Writers’ League of Texas, we offer online programming that is accessible from anywhere and we have members all over the world, so you don’t have to be a Texan to join or take part in our programs.
Upcoming Special Events
We offer free programs for writers on a topic related to the craft or business of writing year-round. These events usually take place on the Third Thursday of every month and can either be a panel discussion, a WLT Off the Beaten Craft or WLT On the Writing Life presentation, or a WLT On the Craft of Writing conversation. Topics have included everything from fanfiction, channeling anxiety and depression into creativity, worldbuilding, querying agents, the path to publication, and everything and anything in between and beyond. We also host two free write-ins to provide accountability and a dedicated virtual writing community.
Plus, WLT members get exclusive access to our Ask Us Anything events, where you can have any and all of your burning questions answered by your favorite authors and industry professionals.
Some of our upcoming events include:
WLT online classes feature a variety of topics taught by outstanding instructors. These live webinars (on Zoom) offer something of interest for all writers – from novice to professional. With some exceptions, classes are usually three hours in length and taught by a single instructor on a specific craft of writing or business of publishing topic.
Our classes offer a combination of lecture and practical exercises, determined by the individual instructor, on focused aspects of the craft and business of writing. Your fellow participants will come from a range of writing experience, from beginners to people with MFA degrees and published books. WLT instructors, participants, and administrators all work together to create a welcoming, supportive environment.
Some of our upcoming classes:
Saturday, November 12: “The Longest Mile: Finishing, Polishing, and Publishing Your Novel” with Gabino Iglesias
Wednesday, November 16: “Writing an Identity Not Your Own” with Alex Temblador
Saturday, November 19: “Worldbuilding Tactics for Science Fiction and Fantasy” with Matt Bell
Saturday, November 30: “Building Character: Creating Complex Personalities in Fiction” with Jennifer duBois
Saturday, December 3: “More than Memory: Using Research to Enhance Your Memoir”
Wednesday, December 7: “Getting Your Foot in the Door: Publishing in Literary Magazines”
“You hear a lot about the solitary life of a writer. With this group, you’re never alone.” – WLT Member
We are dedicated to creating community and sharing the craft and business of writing.
Here’s what you get with your WLT membership:
- WLT members have access to the website’s Member Dashboard, including access to and a listing in the Member Directory, special promotions and resources for writers, & more.
- WLT members receive steep discounts on all paid programming, a savings of $60 on every registration. This includes online classes, the annual Agents & Editors Conference, and the annual Summer Writing Retreat.
- WLT members are eligible for monthly Open Office Hours, the chance to have a 30-minute consultation with our experienced staff to talk about any and all writerly questions or concerns.
- WLT members are invited to promote and sign their books at the WLT booth at special in-person events, including the Texas Book Festival every Fall and the San Antonio Book Festival every Spring.
- WLT members are invited to submit news items for the monthly Member Mailer.
- WLT members are invited to be interviewed for our Meet the Members column on our blog, Scribe.
- WLT members have access to special Members Only events throughout the year, including monthly Member Meet-Ups, game and movie nights, & more.
Ready to take advantage of these great benefits and opportunities? If you gave us your information at the booth, you’ll be hearing from us on how to access your account.